Tuesday, November 19, 2013

When I grow up

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. If I could do anything I wanted, and get paid to do it, what would it be? If I could get paid to do something I love, it would be to read books. I'm not sure how to go about that, but it's a pretty awesome dream nonetheless. I love to write, my brain used to come up with elaborate stories all the time, as I would go about my daily life, my mind would be a million miles away in a completely different world, with different conversations happening, new people and adventures.... For years, I was probably more present in a dream world than in reality. After a while I suppose I got bogged down with real life and somehow my creative juices were stifled. I suppose that's why I love to read so much. I am swept away in a far off land, I get to immerse myself in a whole new reality and for a few short hours, I'm actually there. I'm actually at Hogwarts, I'm really in Bon Temps, I get to travel to Middle Earth! I mean, it's pretty amazing to be a Hobbit! When I close my eyes, I'm there. I have escaped the mundane reality in which I live, and I've transported to another time, another place. 

My husband doesn't read fiction, preferring to read technical manuals and scientific journals instead. He will read everything he can get his hands on, in the non-fiction genre, while I struggle with the non-fiction. I own a lot of non-fiction, metaphysical books. I love them, but it takes me 5 times longer to read a non-fiction book than it does for me to read a fictional tale. Non-fiction can put me to sleep in a few short minutes, but if you give me a good story, like the Stephanie Plum series, I can read 3 books a day! Last night, around midnight, I received an email from Amazon telling me that the latest book in the Stephanie Plum series had been auto-delivered to my Kindle. So, shortly after midnight, I started reading and stayed up until 4:30 this morning to finish it! I couldn't sleep, I couldn't put it down, I had to leave the room so my laughter wouldn't wake BJ up.

So, if I had to give an answer to my dream job, it would be a reader... or a writer. If only I could get those creative juices flowing once more :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment