Sunday, December 1, 2013

Neil Armstrong Academy

As a parent there are times when I feel like I'm doing a terrible job. I feel like I need to teach my children more, give them more, do more for them, be more for them... you get the idea. Tonight, I feel like I did something so incredibly important for them, it's almost as though it's my crowning moment as a mom. I submitted applications for both of my children to the only STEM school currently in Utah, Neil Armstrong Academy. For those of you who don't know what that means, STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. It is a school whose focus is on those areas of education. They still teach the traditional curriculum, but they have a more hands-on approach with a heavy focus on STEM areas.

I won't know until March whether I have been successful in their application, however, I feel good knowing I've done all I can do in that regard. I am praying that they will be accepted. They are such intelligent kids. Jayden loves engineering. His favorite apps on his iPad are fundamentally engineering apps dressed up as games. He has a sharp, technical mind and I have felt strongly for a while now that traditional schools will bore him. I want the kids to go to the same school, and while Aubrey is more artistic than Jayden, I know she will benefit from that school as well.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. I had a fabulous time with my family. I am so grateful for them, and love them so very much. I know I am lucky to have such a close, loving relationship with my parents (all 3 of them) and my siblings. I'll be back soon to tell you all about it.

Jayden has to go to the dentist in the morning. The poor kid inherited my terrible teeth and needs a lot of work done. My uncle told me that my cousin (who is about 12-years younger than me) had a similar problem at Jayden's age. Aubrey's teeth look perfect, Jayden's look terrible. It makes me so sad. Anyway, I'll update more about his first big trip to the dentist soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment