Friday, August 30, 2013

Why are Grandma's so much better than the rest of us?

Let's be honest, most of us think our Grandma was the greatest person on earth. She made the best food, played the best games, taught us the most... My Gram was infallible in my eyes. She was the sweetest, most wonderful, amazing woman in the world. I'm pretty sure that most of us feel the same way about our grandparents.

Right now, I am watching my kids bake muffins with their Grandma Hahn, and I can just tell that she is super-human in their eyes. I can see how intently they watch her add ingredients, how much they want to do what she does, how much they are learning from her along the way, and most importantly how much they are enjoying themselves. I watch her patience with them, her organization and finesse, and the joy she seems to get from their reactions. It seems that Grandma enjoys the little ones just as much as they enjoy her! 

There's no way Grandma's were always this patient, put-together, and perfect. They had to have their frazzled "hot-mess" moments, right?  Maybe, when I'm a grandma, I will magically be as amazing and put together as my mom, my step-mom, and my mother-in-law!! These are things I just have to tell myself to give me hope.

I suppose our Grandparents are proof that with age comes wisdom, patience, and perfection. I know that my experience with my grandparents was different than the one my children will have. My Gram was a stay-at-home mom and they were all retired by the time I came along. Instead of being stuck in daycare, I was lucky enough to spend every day with my Gram. My children's grandparents are all still working. Things are just different now than they used to be. One thing that hasn't changed is the love littles have for their grandparents. It is a very special kind of love, it's timeless.

In the end though, I am pretty sure my Gram was always perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment