Sunday, October 7, 2012

Healthy dilemmas

It's important to practice what you preach. I believe that. I have been reading about the foods that we eat, watching documentaries on the subject for a couple of years now. It all started with the documentary Food Matters, since then I've watched a dozen more. I have healthy cookbooks. I have healthy cooking apps. In theory, I know what to make and how I *SHOULD* be feeding my family. In practical application, I fail. Seriously. I just fail. Here's that perfection problem. It comes down to teaching an old dog new tricks, and I am the old dog.

The reality is while I love to cook, I'm new to it. The other reality is that my kids like macaroni and cheese, spaghettios, ravioli, French fries, and chicken nuggets. They eat the typical crappy American diet. I feel totally guilty about this. I want to change it. I want to change how we eat. I just don't know where to start. I don't know how to pull my world together enough to feed my family a diet of fresh healthy foods. Now add to that the cost. I don't know how to do it cost effectively. I have so much to learn. I have so much to balance, and this is something I can honestly say I don't know how to do or where to begin. Another day of confessions from an imperfect mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment