Sunday, October 28, 2012

Family night

Last night we carved pumpkins as a family. My mom came down, along with Mike and Jenessa. I made dinner, and we carved pumpkins. Aubrey and Jayden loved it. Stabbing the pumpkins was so much fun for them! Lol. Grammie helped them carve their pumpkin. She asked what shapes they wanted for the face and Jayden replies square eyes, etc. Grammie would carve per their requests. It turned out pretty good for a toddler pumpkin! BJ cheated and tried to use his dremel, but the pumpkin was so thick it didn't work! Seriously, these were the thickest pumpkins I've ever carved, which actually turned out to be a good thing for me when it came time for me to carve mine. Overall it was a lot of fun and we created wonderful, lasting memories with my family.

That's what we have to do, what it is all about. I'm not perfect. I know that. I tend to be a bit of bah humbug about holidays. They tend to be more stress than they are worth, but having kids changes that. Watching the simple pleasure that a two-year-old gets from just stabbing a pumpkin with the little carving knife as she exclaims "I making it!" Or the pure joy the three-year-old gets from scooping out the pumpkin guts and saving the seeds for his "aunt Jessa". Those are the things in life that matter. I wish I could just have those moments every day. Take away money, take away everything else. Just let me have those moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment